[TowerTalk] Bad Breath?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:55:04 EST

In a message dated 99-02-16 08:25:28 EST, k4oj@ij.net writes:

> every time I see those pictures of a Telex rotor on a pipe mount (that
>  piece attached to the bottom of the rotor grabbing a vertical pipe for
>  mounting) and then a mast with an antenna on it above the rotor I cringe...
>
>  the only thing I do not like about out of tower (tree) rotors
>  is that there is nothing to hold onto the mast if you don't have the rotor
>  there...on a tree this is extra crucial.
>
>  the ongoing debates as to whether or not two thrust bearings on a tower all
>  point to the stability achieved by having two points of stability for your
>  mast far outweighing one certainly quantum leap when you have nothing
>  stabilizing a mast above rotor....if you mount to a tree in my opinion you
>  might as well marry a top section of tower to the top of the tree as a
>  means to obtain this stabilizing your mast really outta have!

      The reason that you would have two thrust bearings is so that the mast
is held securely in the event that you have to do a rotator swap. This is
particularly handy with a big mast and a stack of antennas where the center of
gravity is above the top of the tower.

      I mast-mount tree installations all the time and prefer the TailTwister
because of its added physical strength over the Ham IV. When I was at Hy-Gain,
we destruct tested a T2X with a lateral load to see what it would take. It
finally broke right at the neck just above the top bell housing at a force of
3,000 ft.lbs. That's magnitudes over what you would encounter with a typical
small to medium sized HF yagi mast mounting situation. It's plenty strong
enough for mast mounting.

       If anyone is interested in a write-up on this test along with lots of
other rotator information, my 3-part reprint from my "Up The Tower" column is
CQ Contest magazine is available for a buck from Tower Tech, Box 572,
Woodinville, WA, 98072.

Cheers,  Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products