[TowerTalk] Radial wire

Bruce Goldstein wa3afs@soli.inav.net
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:58:30 -0600

"What type of radial wire?"

My experience with many verticals having ground mounted radials
is the following:

- The more the merrier!
- The larger the gauge the better.  I once used copper window
screening for an antenna and it played great with just 2 pieces.
Flexibility of the wire has been my limiting factor on size (harder to
staple down).  At the beginning of my vertical times, I used number
28 wire and found that 30 radials of number 28 were equivalent to 3
of RG61!  I now try for number 14 as my minimum size.
- I have used mostly copper (both east and west of the Mississippi)
with satisfactory results.
- I have found that insulation made no difference.  My 'best' radial
wire was scrap coax with the shield and center conductor shorted
together at the antenna end.

I no longer even bother to bury the wire.  Just 'staple' it down every
couple of feet (depending on my estimate of the possibility of
someone tripping or the lawn mower eating lunch) with alumunum
fence ties (6 1/2 inch wire with a hook at one end).  Once the
grass/weeds get a few weeks worth of growth, I can not even find
most of my radials.

73

Bruce, WA3AFS