[TowerTalk] How much can a chimney support?

Michael Bruss mlbruss@ucdavis.edu
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:45:40 -0800 (PST)

I'd like to know if their are some guidelines for determining how much a
chimney can support.

I have a brick chimney that is in excellent condition.  It's 2 x 3 ft and
protrudes 3 ft above the roof.  The center flu is 1 x 1 ft and has a
fireclay liner.  Currently there is a 10 ft mast (1.5" in diameter)
attached to the chimney with two stainless steel bands.  Since the chimney
is not at the edge of the roof, no mast can extend to the ground, so the
only supports for the mast are the steel bands.  On top of the mast is a 6
ft vertical antenna.  This setup has worked fine for about 1.5 years.

What I would like to do is put a TV-type rotator on top of the 10 ft mast,
and then attach a 3 ft mast section to the rotator.  To the 3 ft mast, I
want to attach a Yagi (Cushcraft A505S, 12 ft long, 11 lbs, wind load 2.9
sq ft) and put the 6 ft vertical on top of the 3 ft mast.

Ice is not a problem here, but it can be windy.

Can the chimney take it?  Are there any other problems I need to consider?

Thanks, Mike, KF6IMS