[TowerTalk] How much can a chimney support?

Dave_K9NX n7ex@athenet.net
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:21:19 +0000

At 11:45 AM 1/10/99 -0800, Michael Bruss wrote:

>Can the chimney take it?  Are there any other problems I need to consider?

Mike

I'm no structural engineer so I cant help you there on what the wind
survivability would be. If you do decide to go that way I would crawl up
there after any strong wind storm and look for cracks.

In the department of "other problems to consider" if you actually use the
fireplace to burn wood then expect your antenna to eventually become
covered with soot black another name for carbon . Amazingly conductive this
stuff called carbon and it will create resistance paths across insulators
and eventually lead to arching. A fact that I learned the hard way once
with a chimney mounted Butternut vertical a few years  back. Also antennas
mounted this close over the roof of your house will couple more effectively
into the house wiring in the attic leading to difficult (to solve) TVI and
Phone RFI problems. I would not recommend using an amplifier in this
situation.

Also check your homeowners policy closely for damage waivers due to
externally attached structures ~8^).

FYI
Dave K9NX