[TowerTalk] Antenna Masts, hydraulic, electric or air operated

Joe Subich w8ik@ibm.net
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:57:29 -0500

> I often see masts mounted on remove TV trucks that look very
> robust and are raised and lowered by compressed air, electric
> motors or hydraulic lines.  Can anyone point me in the direction
> of some manufacturers or distributors?

Probably the most common (at least I've had them on every truck I
have used or built) mast on TV trucks is by Wil-Burt Manufacturing
in Orrville, Ohio.  At one time the "standard" was a either 48' or
56' rated for about 75 pounds at the top.  With the advent of
"mastcams" (cameras mounted at the top of the mast) and newer,
heavier (higher performance) microwave antennas, the mast has been
redesigned with thicker wall sections to increase the rated
"top load" to about 140 pounds.

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>