[TowerTalk] Variance Request - Status

Gene S. k5gs@ibm.net
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:56:28 -0700

Several weeks ago I asked the members of this reflector for infomation on
getting a variance to CCRs before I bought some property. Thanks to all who
responded to my request for information.  Here's a brief status of how
things are unfolding.

I used the sample text provided by Fred Hopengarten,  K1VR ,  and the ideas
provided in private e-mails, to develop a draft of what I wanted the
"Architectural Controls Committee" to consider.   Included in the written
proposal were detailed pictures of a crank-up installation, and the PE
stamped documents for the proposed tower. The owner/developer of the
sub-division is a member of the ACC, as are two residents of the area.

The answer I received today was:

The ACC would not oppose my proposal for a 72 foot motorized crank-up.
However, because of the way the CCRs are written for this filing, agreement
from the other property owners is required. While this isn't impossible, it
will take time and a lot of work. They've already been through the process
because another potential buyer wanted to purchase 2 lots and put the home
in the middle of them. He was approved.

The developer proposed the following alternative:

To bypass the requirement of all owners approving the variance, why don't
you consider buying a lot in the next filing,  which we will  plat in the
spring.  This development is 500 acres,  with the only first filing covered
by the existing CCRs.

He's willing to write the CCR's for the next filing to allow for the
installation of a crank-up tower. This new filing has nicer lots, with many
tall pines, and building sites which provide better views of Pikes Peak,
which is probably 20 miles from the site.

Of course, those lots will be priced higher than the current lots, but
they're larger. It may be worth the extra bucks to have more dirt (and
separation), and a set of CCRs that I helped write.

My next step is to meet with the developer to walk the potential lot lines,
see if there is something within the budget, and if there is, craft
proposed CCRs which allow structures over 35 feet, and antennas.

This sub-division offers everything we're looking for:  paved roads,
community water system, underground utilities, natural gas, and acres of
open space,   within 25 miles of a moderate size city,   so it may be hard
to pass up the developer's offer.

I'm not sure where this is all going, but they seem to be willing to work
with me, and amateur radio, and even my wife likes the area (so what's
wrong with this picture?)

I'll be getting back to the developer after the Broncos win the Super Bowl.
  ;-)

Tnx.

Gene Spinelli,  K5GS/0