[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Speed Up

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:51:00 -0800

The prop pitch motor used by most hams has a gear reduction of 9576:1 .I
modified one per the QST article in 1950. I have used it to rotate first a 4
el 20 on a 42 ft boom. I later used it to rotate a KLM 5 el 20. This "Big
Stick" antenna , when mounted at the center of gravity, has very bad
unbalanced wind torque. In 40 + years of use I never saw any evidence of
windmilling. Even with the loss of one gear reduction in the train, I have
doubts that any ham antenna could turn it backwards. Has anyone out there
actually had a problem with this ? 73, Dan  N5AR