[TowerTalk] FCC and Tower Lighting

Bob Lovell pizzabob@TWLakes.Net
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:23:47 -0600

On 1/12/99 Stu Greene wrote, in part:

>          FCC ISSUES SECOND TOWER WARNING
>The FCC has issued a second warning to owners of radio
>antenna structures after an ambulance helicopter nearly hit an
>unlit radio tower that was under construction near Arcadia,
>Florida.

One of my amateur friends informed me that some new ruling somewhere makes
tenants on radio towers equally liable with the owner for lighting/painting
infractions.  This seems unreasonable, as, for instance, a paging company
with dozens of sites could hardly be expected to check every tower each
night for burned out beacons!  (I am required to check my lights once per
day, according to the FCC registration docs.)

Anyone able to confirm or deny this, or point me to a good source of info?

Tnx as always and 73,
Bob      KK4TD