[TowerTalk] Tower Lighting

w8ji.tom w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:46:51 -0500

Floyd,

So far as I know, despite rumors, the co-users have ALWAYS been jointly
responsible for lighting and maintenance.

Section 17.4 is VERY plain about this, and to the best of my knowledge that
has never changed.
It was that way in every revision of the FCC rules I have ever looked at,
and the copy revised Oct 1 1996 in my hand right now plainly spells out
that tenants are jointly responsible..just like the other copies of the
rules I have from other years.

Rather than listen to stories that can get you in hot water, I'd read
section 17 of the rules. 17.6 specifically lists the steps you must take as
a tenant, and has listed those steps for years and years. I'm unaware that
the rules ever changed, since they are the same in my 1983 copy as in my
1998 copy.

What we "think" or assume is fair or reasonable doesn't matter. Only the
rules do. You might NOT have to light or mark a tower when others  might
claim you do, and you might have to mark and light one that someone tells
you is OK without lighting.

I'm sure everyone is trying to be helpful, but it's your money at the
table. Read the rules, carefully. My copy of the rules conflicts with a lot
of well intentioned advice.

73,
Tom