[TowerTalk] Attaching Large Antennas to Rohn-45 Legs

Don Moman ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:09:50 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Bill Fisher, W4AN wrote:

> I have a 8/8 stack to Europe for 10 meters on 48' booms.  I'm also putting
> up 7/7 for 15 meters on 48' booms.  I'm wondering what type of boom to leg
> arrangement to use.  I'm leary of tightening a u-bolt too tight around the
> tower leg.  My thought now is to use 4 U-bolts on the tower leg for each
> antenna.  Any other advice?

I'd be more than leary...... the towers I have are all heavier than Rohn
45 and I wouldn't consider mounting anything on just one leg - that just
can't help but weaken the leg and contribute to an even worse scenario.  A
couple of angle or channel brackets going along the face of the tower,
perhaps 2 feet apart will distribute the forces in a much better fashion.
A short pipe on this and mount the beam to the pipe in the conventional
fashion.  Go a step further, put bearings (pillowblocks) on the pipe and a
sprocket and you have a ~120 deg sidemount. Put a barn door on it and it
becomes a ~300 deg sidemount, which is what I did last summer....6/6/6/6
48' 15m OWA designs.

73 Don VE6JY