[TowerTalk] loctite on ham-4 bolts?

Eric Gustafson n7cl@mmsi.com
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:57:44 -0700

>From: "Bob Puharic" <wf3h@hotmail.com>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:58:58 PST
>
>Loctite certainly has its place. But I'm not sure I understand
>the concept of loctiting the hell out of everything. Loctite is
>for permanent installations.

There are several variants of Loctite and it is important to use
the correct one for the application.  Permanent Loctite (usually
red for the range of thread diameters we use) is for permanent
installations.  Service removable loctite (usually blue) is for
installations that may require service in the future.

In general you determine the thread diameter, materials, and
whether you want to be able to disassemble the structure in the
future or not.  Then select the correct Loctite compound for the
application.

>There are VERY few things in ham radio that are permanent, and
>trying to get a loctited bolt out, or replacing one with a new
>bolt in a hole that's had loctite in it is difficult at best.
>There's gotta be a better way.

We use the service removable stuff on our ruggedized assemblies
all the time and have no problems getting them apart when
required.  If worse comes to worse, a little heat will soften the
stuff up.

73, Eric  N7CL