[TowerTalk] rotor bolts

Kurt Andress K7NV@contesting.com
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:47:30 -0800

edbruns@juno.com wrote:

> If you have trouble with your rotor mounting bolts backing out,
> do what an aircraft mechanic does  --- safety wire it. Either drill
> holes in the existing bolts or buy new ones with holes in them,
> wire it up and forget it. Pilots don't like to lose props, hams hate
> to lose rotors.
>
> Ed, W3EKT.

Hi Ed,
Yes, proper safety wiring is probably one of the best methods of securing
fasteners. It has been the standard for aircraft and race cars for decades.
I think the reason that Tom, W8JI and I left this option out of the
commentary is that it is not just an everyday, anyone can just intuitively
do properly, practice.

Too many years ago, my safety wiring "Elmer" was a retired Roger Penske
chassis mechanic. We were partners in a 150 Mph, built from scratch  "Go -
Kart,"  I got to drive the kart, the only thing I was interested in, but he
made sure that I got educated about all of the stuff that real mechanics
worry about that save drivers butts.
If there was one thing that was pounded into my head, it was how to properly
wire fasteners.
I got to re-wire every 3 out of 4 connections I did, until I got it right.
He's probably the reason I'm still around!
Later, I spent several years working as a professional race car mechanic,
and everything he taught me was the foundation for my daily work. This
includes all the stuff Tom presented about thread distortion locking of high
strength fasteners. I just didn't include it, cuz it can't apply to dogmeat
fasteners in cast aluminum cases.

The problems surrounding the safety wire approach are that there are 99 ways
to get it wrong and 1 way to do it right!
All aircraft mechanics receive training to learn how to do it right.

How many of the reflector subscribers do you think will intuitively figure
out how to get it right?
It is not a discipline that can be easily taught via e-mail! One needs to
see it done in person, with the proper commentary.

If one can successfully get holes drilled in a fastener head, with the
popular battey powered drill motor, will he figure out that just running
some wire through the holes doesn't get the job done?
Proper safety wiring is a great way to prevent fasteners from getting loose.
Who is gonna sponser the first amateur symposium on it, so all can fly there
and learn how to do it correctly?

In lieu of the occurence of the first "Amateur Safety Wiring  Conference,"
I'll continue to encourage others to enjoy better Hamming thru modern
chemistry. This approach is achievable for most if they adhere to the basic
principles of mating surface cleanliness.

--
73, Kurt

K7NV "That's K7 "Nevada" (ex - NI6W)

YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/