[TowerTalk] Re: TA-40KR

Mark Shaum k9tr@cwix.com
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:11:31 -0600

Bob and TT gang:

I added the TA-40KR to my TA33 in the summer of 1998.  The 20M 2:1 SWR
bandwidth was reduced about 20%, no effect on 15 and 10.  The 40M 2:1
bandwidth (at the end of 160 ft of LMR400UF) was about 80khz.  Minimum SWR
was about 1.6:1.  F/B and F/S of the tribander didn't seem affected.

The rather stiff nylon/whatever diamond guying rope provided by Mosley was a
bit difficult to work with, but managed to keep the driven element from
turning into a V-beam in 60 mph winds.

While the system seemed to work o.k, I wasn't too pleased with the bandwidth
on 40, as I shift between CW and SSB ops.  There didn't seem to be as much
front/side rejection as I had experienced with a D4 rotary dipole last year.

Eventually, I took the TA-40KR kit off and installed a D40 dipole three feet
above the TA33.  The Cushcraft/Mosey combo is working out very well.  With
the D40 at 73 ft, I can pretty much work whatever I can hear on 40.
Interaction with the tribander due to the close spacing was limited to
shifting the resonant points downward about 30khz on 20, 15 and 10.

Mark Shaum K9TR
email: k9tr@cwix.com

http://home.cwix.com/~k9tr@cwix.com
Central Illinois Grid EN50ii  Zip 61721