[TowerTalk] Small Tribander Recommendations

Dick Green Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 01:20:37 -0400

I'm looking for some recommendations on a small tribander for use with a
second radio in a SO2R contest station. Up to now, I've been using a TH-7 at
70' on one radio and a GAP Titan multiband vertical on the other radio. The
vertical has been servicable for S&P in most of the contests I've worked
this year, and it's very nice for quick "back of the beam" contacts. But
many times I've wished for a little gain and directivity, especially on 10M.

For a lot of reasons that I won't take up your time with, I'm thinking about
putting the second beam on a 50' guyed surplus military mast (AB-577/GRC)
and keeping the mast fully lowered except for contest weekends (fewer than 9
per year.) The vendor doesn't have a specific rating on the mast, but says
that the technical manual gives a deflection rating (whatever that means) at
75 mph with a pair of large horn antennas (8-10 sq.ft.). He says his
customers report no problems with large beams in high winds. The mast has
three sets of guys that go to screw anchors. Even though it *might* be
feasible to keep a small beam up all the time, there's no reason to do it. I
figure the setup should be OK for contest weekends as long as the wind stays
reasonable (heck, I lower my MA-770MDP all the way when the wind gets over
30MPH.)

Anyway, I'm considering these small beams: KT-34A, TH-5, TH-3, and C3. The
TH-5 is probably too big. I'm leaning towards the KT-34A or C3 because I
already have a Hy-Gain trapped antenna and it would be nice to get some
experience with a different design.

Comments? Thanks in advance.

73, Dick WC1M