[TowerTalk] Problem found with SWR on A4S

Bill Hinkle kb3aug@juno.com
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 21:19:15 -0400

Just thought I would let everybody know I found the problem with my
Cushcraft A4S with 40m add on. The only band that worked was 15m. The SWR
would jump from good to Bad, back to good, back to bad with anything over
100 watts, (used 200 watts). The problem was a bad 20m trap, it was
arcing and melted the plastic insulator and cap on the outer most end. It
also had a small place in the coil where the insulation was off the wire.
I took the trap apart and fixed it farm style with what I had. I unwound
the coil and put some 3M 33 Plus tape over the bad spot and wound it
back. I took the bad plastic insulator and moved it to the other end of
the trap as the outer cover of the trap is electrically connected to the
antenna on that end. I did this because the plastic was black with carbon
and felt it wouldn't matter on that end of the trap. I used the 33 Plus
again to fix the black cap on the trap. I haven't put any real power to
it, but it has been working fine with 200 watts. Who would of thought a
20m trap would make the antenna go to pot on 10m. I would of thought it
would just effect 20 and 40m. It's strange that 15 worked fine, to me
anyway.

73, and thanks to everybody who replied to my message
Bill KB3AUG
Riverton, WV

P.S. I do not want to put any money in the antenna because I want
something better. Just cant make up my mind as to what. Been thinking
about a Froce 12 C4 or a Cushcraft X9. The X9 is a bit big for my Tri-Ex
LM-354 and I'm having trouble seeing how a 2 element (10, 15 and 20)
Force 12 can work as good as everybody says. The only Ham I know who has
one is about 70 miles away, about 2+ hours from here.
Comments as to what I should buy, anyone?