[TowerTalk] Tilting a beam

John Hunley john@jrh.com
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 20:25:14 -0500

Tom Osborne wrote:

> A friend of mine is in kind of a bad spot.  There is a big hill
> just to the Northwest of him.  When beaming in that direction, he
> beams right into the side of the hill.  If he were to tilt his
> beam up a bit, would that make any difference getting over the
> hill?  Sounds kinda silly but we're wondering.  73

...which would lead to the question:  If one were to design some sort of
remotely controllable tilt mechanism (sorta like the "el" part of an
az-el rotator), could one control the takeoff angle, and thus have only
one antenna to cover all distances (assuming it was mounted high
enough)?  Seems like if you tilt the beam upward, the takeoff angle would
be increased accordingly, so if you were shooting over the top of a
station, state, or country you wanted to work, you could just increase
the takeoff angle until you reduce the radius of the skip to place your
signal right where you wanted it.  Why didn't someone think of this a
long time ago?!?

--
John Hunley

Long Distance for 7.5 cents/minute plus commissions?
    http://www.newsuccess.com/jhunley.htm

Wanna get paid for surfing the net?
    http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=BTB569
    http://www.gotoworld.com/getpaid/default.asp?rid=1006237550