[TowerTalk] Crossed Dipoles....

Lee Buller k0wa@southwind.net
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 20:21:34 -0500

hey guys, I just heard about this antenna...I did not design it.  I tried
it and it worked GREAT!

What I did was place two 40 meter dipoles and fed them with one piece of
coax.  No big deal.  A lot of people do this....especially on 75 and 80
meters....to get bandwidth.

Instead of slinging one under the other, I placed the dipoles at 90 degrees
maing an "X" from the top of the 30 foot pole in inverted-vee format.  The
center of the coax was soldered to one side and the braid went to the other
side.  The hot sides of the dipole was the top part of the "X" and the
braid side of the coax was tided to the low part of the "X."  The antenna
resolated at 7100.  I do not think it is a turnstile in the real sense.

I would think in my uneducated opinion that the radiation angle of this
antenna is pretty high which is what I want to do 40 meters from Kansas or
Missouri.  The idea is to warm the clouds and work out about 1500
miles....not 3000 miles.

However it radiates or whatever it is called...it sure worked a lot of Qs
on 40 meters.  Rate was dog-on good all night long into the early morning....

Lee