[TowerTalk] Re:Kevlar & Ice Accumulation

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:04:15 -0400

I've had up to an inch of radial ice on my Phillystran. It definitely
adheres. Once in a while, I'll go out and give it a little twand and
look out below!

73 Barry

On 14 Jul 99, dpbunte@juno.com <dpbunte@juno.com> wrote:

> John - WA9ALS asked:
> "How do Kevlar and EHS compare as far as ice accumulation?"
>
> I have no experience with Kevlar or any polymer guys, so I cannot speak
> from experience.  However, I believe the smoother surface would shed
> water more readily, and also results in less area on which ice can form.
> Thus 1/2" of radial ice on Kevlar guys should weigh less than 1/2" radial
> ice on EHS if both guys are of equal diameter.  I do not know if Kevlar
> guys are larger or smaller than EHS of equal rating.  I do know that ice
> can form quickly on the vertical glass of my car windows...so I expect it
> would also form on Kevlar guys.  I also believe that the smoother surface
> of the Kevlar guys might allow accumulated ice to slide down more
> readily...perhaps before it had accumulated to the point of putting the
> guy terminations at risk.
>
> Hopefully someone reading this can share factual information, rather than
> having to rely on my "gut" feeling.
>
> Very 73,
>
> 	Dave -K9FN-
>
> --

Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club