[TowerTalk] balun design summary and data

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:38:12 +0000

Guys,

Thanks all of you for remarks on the adequacy of a
6.5 turn on a toroid balun design.

Remarks ranged from: Until you know what the
toroid is made of, one can't tell to it is a lousy
design compared to a bead design to it should work
fine.

Given the marked disagreement on this I decided to
measure the impedance of the braid "choke coil"
and center conductor "coil" that is created by
this device.  Both measured out at about 600 ohms
on an Autek RF-1.

Now the question boils down is 600 ohms enough
choke impedance or not?

I also welcome measurements others have done on
their designs (especially the bead designs).  I
have a bead bauln I have been using on a 40 meter
rotary dipole (about 15" of beads) which worked
fine. I frankly doubt it has this much impedance.
Unfortunately its up at 60' and can't be measured
at the moment.

Time to put your facts where the opinions are.

If choke impedance isn't the correct measure of
worth, what is?

73 de Brian/K3KO