[TowerTalk] balun design summary and data

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:06:01 -0400

> If choke impedance isn't the correct measure of
> worth, what is?

While Z is important, the value of resistance and reactance is what
you need to know if you run any power. If anyone measures the
impedance, also measure or calculate Rp. From Rp and voltage,
we can get dissipation. From that heat. Ignoring that could be a
balun-fatal mistake.

Example:
Rp of a "beam balun" I measured is 740 ohms on 7 MHz. With a
50 ohm feedpoint, 1.5 kilowatts is 274 volts. Normally half that
voltage appears across the balun (137 V).

E^2 / R is 25.37. Dissipation is about 25 watts. Imagine a twenty
five watt lamp enclosed in a sealed PVC housing less than a foot
long in the hot sun, or even a winter night without Arctic winds.

That seemingly low amount is far beyond the safe limit of the
beads used even in open air! The curie temperature (only 118 deg
C) would easily be reached in sustained contest operating. Once
that happens the Rp resistance of the beads drops, the balun quits
being a balun, and heating generally increases more. The beads
may not recover and go 3 Mile Island.

Just an example why resistance is important in transmitting
applications. A tiny fraction of overall power can be disaster in a
closed space.

Looking at impedance alone is a small part of the problem. This
balun example was of a "40-10 meter 1500 watt rated balun".
That's why it was in my junk box, and a coil of coax is on my
antenna.

Unless you know Rp, you have no idea if the balun will work for
anything more than QRP.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com