[TowerTalk] Re: [Antennas] Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:36:52 -0500

Gene Smar spelunk.sueno@cwix.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:43:32 -0400

I've been using something called "Mor-Tite" as a coax sealant material.
This stuff is actually used as rope putty for window seals around
double-hung windows.  It comes in a large roll of multiple parallel strands.
For windows, you're supposed to tear off a single strand and apply it as a
caulking around window panes.  I bought a roll nearly 15 years ago and new
pieces from that same roll are still useable.

The stuff is impossible to work in cold weather, though, so I am resigned to
antenna work after the spring thaw.  But it IS reusable once you get it off.
I apply a wrap of electrical tape then a layer of this stuff that I have
worked into a wide, flat patch that fits around the connector or other joint
and press it until the stuff bonds to the cable jacket.  All joints remain
shiny underneath the tape and this stuff.

It's loads cheaper than commercial coax sealants and, IMHO, still does the
job.

Gene Smar  AD3F
spelunk.sueno@cwix.com