[TowerTalk] HyGain considerations

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:11:50 EDT

In a message dated 99-07-19 19:38:48 EDT, jfleming@shelbynet.net writes:

> I'm getting close to placing an antenna and rotator order and wanted to
>  try one more time to see how the tide of public opinion is going these
>  days.  I'm leaning toward a TH11DX and T2XD.  Anyone worried enough
>  about MFJ taking over to NOT go this route?  My theory is that these
>  both basically consist of the "right stuff" and that parts and service
>  should be available from MFJ/HyGain and others for some time.  Also, if
>  I get on with it, I should be able to get items manufactured in and by
>  the "old plants and staff".

      Sure - go for it. Good antenna & good rotator.

>  Some have had problems with the T2X and winter-sticking.  Any consensus
>  on how much to worry about this?  Other than this one problem, the T2X
>  is at the top of my list right now, but this is Indiana, and I can't
>  have it STUCK all winter!

     I think that Hy-Gain started using a low temp grease several years ago.
The problem historically was the brake wedge sticking which has got nothing
to do with the grease. The brake wedge was re-designed several years ago too
so I don't think you'll have much in the way of problems.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC