[TowerTalk] 6 meter antenna ?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:48:35 EDT

In a message dated 99-07-22 18:38:30 EDT, k9zm@frontiernet.net writes:

> Has anyone had any problem with the M2 6M7JHV antenna?  This has a 30'8"
>  Boom which is only 1.5" dia.  I am looking to get on 6m and want the most
>  value for the buck.  This seems to be it.  However, everything I have ever
>  read says to use a larger boom for this type of length.  Just curious if it
>  is a bit too floppy in the air.  Should I consider another antenna of
>  similar size/gain?  I am planning on putting this at about 52' in the air
on
>  a second tower with possibly a 5 el 10 meter antenna a few feet under it.
>  This would be my primary 6m antenna.  Other suggestions would be
>  appreciated?

       M2 is NOT known for poor mechanical designs. They probably use Kurt's
YagiStress software but I don't know for sure.

      6M elements aren't real substantial so I'll bet you a nickel that it'll
be just fine. The antenna is rated to 85 MPH so it's not a heavy duty 100 MPH
version. Logan County is a 70 MPH windspeed zone so you really don't have
much to worry about.

      M2 6M antennas work very FB so go for it!

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC