[TowerTalk] Temporary Antenna Suggestions

Donald E. Stiles goodnews@mail.cmedic.net
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:32:42 -0400

--------------D0442B2FEB7BF96A7DA116B4

Hi Ed,

Even more important than the antenna, is the ground system you have, or have
not.  Your location is probably quite rocky and you may NOT have a suitable
ground for your station.

If this is the case, drive several 8' rods ( if you can) and hook them together
with a minimunm of #6 stranded copper wire.  Use a torch to solder the wire to
the rods in a continuous strand and hook the ground to the utility co's
ground.  Use Copper Sulfate (green crystals) at each ground rod.  This will
leach into the ground and improve it significantly.  Most mill & supply places
will have the stuff.

If there is a forgiving point to a vertical antenna, it is that you can lay the
ground radials on top of the ground.  Try an inexpensive vertical to compair to
the wire.  I have used a monoband HF mobile whip with good results.

gud luk es 73 de n8csp

Ed- W4EP wrote:

> All the comments I'm getting is stay away from the 7 band magic boxes and
> go for wire antennas.
> thanks and 73
> Ed
>
> At 03:50 PM 7/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hey Ed,
> >
> >Congratulations on finding your spot.  It sounds great for VHF/UHF work as
> well
> >as HF.

--------------D0442B2FEB7BF96A7DA116B4

begin:vcard
n:Stiles;Donald
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:World Wide Christian Prayer Ministries--Good News Ministry
adr:;;15594 Ritchie Ave NE;Cedar Springs,;MI;49319;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:goodnews@mail.cmedic.net
title:Administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;0