[TowerTalk] 40m Yagi @ 66' vs 92'

John Langdon jlangdon@outer.net
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:02:49 -0600

I have 2 element "shorty" 40M yagis at 65, 125, and 195' with a WX0B
StackMatch to switch them.  Of course, this is from W5 land.  The lower
antenna is better in the afternoon before sunset for listening to signals
from W1/W2 land which I presume would mimic the high angle path from W1 to
EU, but often not as good as my 25' high "cloud warmer" dipole I use for
local skeds in W5.  There has never been a time on DX signal at night that
the 65' antenna was best. Into the Caribbean during contests the 65'
antenna is very close to the 125, which is better than the 195.  On a few
signals, like VU/4S7 near sunset here, the 195' antenna is better than the
125, but it is very rare.  N3BB is nearby and has a 3 element 40 at 120'
and that seems to be a sweet spot into EU and JA from here.

I would recommend the 92' height if it is mechanically feasible.

73 John N5CQ