[TowerTalk] Rust Inhibiting Paint for Steel Towers - Suggestions Needed

John Crovelli w2gd@hotmail.com
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:17:59 PST

I hope someone on this reflector will be able to help me.

Problem:  How to inhibit corrosion of Rohn 25G steel tower in salt water
envirnoments.

Problem Detail:  My Rohn 25G tower at P40W has rusted to the point that
it must be replaced for safety reasons.  The location, in the middle of
the island, is subject to substancial exposure to airborne salt vapor.
During certain times of year, the buildup of salt residue is very
substancial, especially when there is no rain to wash it away for weeks
or months at a time. It is not uncommmon at sunset to actually feel the
salt brine on tower surfaces.

Also of some concern is the effects inposed by constant 20 mph trade
winds, which over time, seem to act as a sand blaster, causing
accellerated deterioration of surfaces on the east side of the tower.

Proposed Solution:  Find a paint product that can be applied (by brush)
to my used but rust free Rohn 25G sections that has a high adherence
characteristic, provides significant resistence to abrasion from wind
driven sand, and protects the steel tower from corrosion caused by salt
residue buildup.

I hope someone has a "silver bullet" solution, a suggested paint product
will meet or exceed my needs, and can tell me where it can be purchased
in the USA.

Looking forward to a discussion of this topic.  BTW, the current tower
survived about 5 years after being painted prior to erection.
Unfortunately the paint product used, supposedly a battle ship paint,
was ineffective.

73,

John  W2GD/P40W