[TowerTalk] Where to put tower?

Jeffrey R Davis jrdavis@crnotes.collins.rockwell.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:33:56 -0600

>Soon my wife and I will move into a new house in the country where I
>intend to put-up a 100' tower.  The tower will be used mostly for HF
>beams, but I haven't ruled-out putting VHF/UHF antennas on it.  The
>question is whether to put it close to the house to minimize cable runs
>or at least one tower length away (where accidents won't harm the
>house or
>its occupants).

Well, only you can determine what's right for you, but I'm also putting in
a 75' tower (my first) on an acreage and I'll share with you the decisions
we made and why.

We decided that the view was important, and as we have no windows to the
north or south we narrowed down to one of those two sides of the house. The
south side is both higher and closer to the shack, so we're going with
that. We're going to have to have overhead power lines moved underground to
make this location happen.

I wanted the tower separated from the house for several reasons:

   1.  I wanted to make it easier to be approved by the zoning board and
building
       office by avoiding the possibility of the tower falling on the
house.

   2.  I wanted to keep the antennas as far away from the RFI of computers,
vacuum
       cleaners, light dimmers, etc. as possible.

On the other hand, I wanted to keep cable losses to a minimum, so the tower
is about
85' from the house.

73,

Jeff N0DY