[TowerTalk] tower maintenance intervals

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:01:16 EST

In a message dated 99-03-16 18:16:08 EST, brunet@us.ibm.com writes:

> Our club is evaluating a Hazer system vs. the cost of paying a professional
>  to climb the tower when maintenance is needed.  We are rebuilding a
>  TailTwister and a KT34XA prior to installation.  Since the tower is on our
>  employer's roof we will not be allowed to climb it.  What is an estimate as
>  to the number of times a tower would need to be climbed over a ten year
>  period for top of tower maintenance?  With that estimate we should be able
>  to determine the cost of a climber vs the cost of a Hazer.

       Hmm, interesting question - a TowerTalk first!

       An annual inspection is highly recommended so add that to your
equation. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so; two is probably pushing
it.

       I usually estimate rotator service life in the 6-7 year range (YMMV) so
you might put in a rotator swap sometime in the next ten years. If everything
is installed properly including weatherproofing, I wouldn't expect any other
problems.

       Generally, my recommendation would be to skip the Hazer - more
mechanical complexity to possibly fail but you didn't include any other
details to consider (windspeed zone, tower type and height, etc.).

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC