[TowerTalk] Best vs. Maxwell -:

Dan Arney kn6di@groupone.net
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 05:56:13 -0800

Denny, That is the smartest statement that I have seen on antennas here
in a long time.

When push comes to shove, then leave the books on the shelf and the
formulas in the computer and tweak the antennas until it gins right
along and does what it is supposed to do.

While you are working DX or across town your choice. The books/formulas
are still having arguments about .0089 db and .00001 SWR and is it on
the shack end or the balun or spacing of reflector/driver and don't
forget the Take off angle it is down .0007 degrees because there is a
hill 6.00078 miles away that is 3,685'9" and .0035 high with vegetation
on it and trees.
Oops, forgot the beam is 61'3.005 inches above ground with ground stakes
that are 95.98 inches in the ground with .989"x.225" thick braided
ground strap made out of .0025 braids. The stakes are in a monitored
salt content with a solution drip rate of 1000 .002 micron drips per
day.

Now some one will model this and it will out last Best/Maxwell.

In the airline business we call it getting the Fly S--- out of the black
pepper.

I have to do 2 LM470's today remove 2 yagis put up 3 monobanders a 4 ele
5 band Quad and a 6M Jpole along with a 2M Yllowjacket Quad.
Have pretweaked most of the antennas.

Off to work

Hank