[TowerTalk] Subjective Analysis... was 15 & 40 interaction

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@qsl.net
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:19:58 GMT

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:56:48 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
>
>> And even if F/B were nil at K6LL on 15m, what's behind him on 15
>> meters in almost any of his high volume directions? Why would he care?
>> On the other hand, F/B in W1-land while pointed at Europe might be
>> deemed critical.
>
>No question.  But you miss the point.

Heck, no, I'm on your wavelength. Just forgot to acknowledge it. My
reply was an augmentation, not a rebuttal.

>For Dave, F/B probably isn't
>important.  But that's not the discussion.
>
>I've had knowledgable friends put up close spaced antennas on the same
>mast and think their antennas were working.  Only to find out they were
>totally screwed up by the other antenna upon further analysis.

Agree completely, I have my own collection of stories that sound like
yours.

>My only suggestion is to offer quantitative suggestions and not subjective
>ones.  K7LXC's paper on tribander comparisons in my mind is the sort of
>thing people should be paying attention to.

I asked him once if he had any plans to do a 40m version of his
tribander study. At that time he said no, due to limited resources and
time. An exhaustive study of tribander reaction with various 40m
antennas would seem at least as much work if not more. (Steve, please
speak for yourself here...)

>Not the last paragraph in a
>CQ Magazine product review where the author tells us all how he worked 5
>DL's with 100w in less than an hour.

Agree completely. I think Bob Cox or any of those guys could do their
incredible numbers using a wet noodle... well, maybe a salty wet
noodle...

I have queried any number of people who have put up F12 forty meter
stuff and tried to get something from them to indicate effectiveness.
I get answers like "I always get through pileups on first or second
call." It takes a leap of faith to spend a K-buck based on such
answers. I will get a chance to use them, however. I have operating
experience on a stack of XM240's (AA4NC).

The unfortunate side of this is that this anecdotal evidence, however
imprecise or inaccurate, will be far more available than carefully
measured studies or accurate/easily available/affordable modelling
involving loaded 40 m beams.

>73
>
>Bill

73, y'all