[TowerTalk] Another Sanity Check

Michael Tope W4EF@pacbell.net
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:24:35 -0000

I have a heavy duty pulley (1300 lbs working load) here that I was thinking
of using as part of a tram for an upcoming tower project. My plan was to
possiblly attach this pulley to the antenna mast and pass a nylon rope through it.
The rope would attach to the a tram pulley riding on a 1/4" EHS cable and would
be used to raise and lower the antennas. Although the pulley is quite heavy, it will
only accomodate 5/16" diameter rope or cable (1/2 wide pulley wheel). Will 5/16"
nylon rope be heavy enough to safely raise and lower the antennas (I estimate
the static load to be over 100 lbs), or should I go to a bigger pulley and 1/2" rope?

BTW, the antennas in question are a KLM KT34XA and 40 meter 4 yagi both with
the heavy duty (thick) boom material option.

73 de Mike, W4EF.........