[CQ-Contest] RE: [TowerTalk] 22VAC to 2 110VAC circuits

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@qsl.net
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:02:37 GMT

When I first lived in New York, we had an extensive fireplace & brick
wall put on one end of the family room (it was really beautiful). One
thing we had the guy do was add a clock outlet in the brick up above
the fireplace. All he had to do was to take the 110 volt loop that
went through the wall he replaced and hook it up to the clock outlet
instead. He mixed up the wires.

Long and short of it was that the ground of the outlet next to the
Deck sliding door was 110 volts above the baseboard hot water radiator
right below it.

I discovered it after I bought one of those triple neon lamp outlet
testers which had just come on the market.

The outlet cover was plastic and only the screw was hot. The screw had
white paint on it.  Only by the grace of God noone had used the outlet
with a grounded device and touched the baseboard at the same time. My
young (at the time) children played in front of that outlet.

This situation extrapolates to anywhere electricity is used,
especially outdoors, shacks, workshops, places where doityurselfers
often wire stuff up.

Know the code cold or get someone who does. You might never have
anything happen. You might just get tingled or jolted. You might get
fried.

May you live to play with your grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Guy.

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:17:29 -0500, you wrote:

>At 02:44 AM 3/23/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>>If you've been fixing up your house or your hamshack using the white wire as
>>a hot wire for 110v circuits, you'd best get a qualified electrician to
>>straighten out the place before someone gets electrocuted.
>
>Boy, you got that right -- I found a switched circuit in my new/old house
>that was wired backwards.  A shocking experience!
>
>73,  Pete N4ZR
>Loud is good

73, Guy
--. .-..