[TowerTalk]Gin Pole Strength

Michael Tope W4EF@pacbell.net
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:30:57 +0100

The following is summary of replies that I received to my inquiry
about gin pole strength. Thanks to all who replied - the information
is greatly appreciated.

73 de Mike, W4EF.................

Can anyone out there give me advice (anecdotal, analytical, or otherwise)
on sizing a gin pole for structural integrity? I have a requirement to drop 24' of 1/4" wall
4130 chrome moly into a Rohn 25G tower (estimate wt ~120 lbs). I currently have in hand a 20'
section of schedule 40 6061-T6 water pipe (1.915" OD; 0.158" wall) which I hope to use for the job
in conjuction with WB0W gin pole fixtures (pulley and bracket). The actual working length
(measured from the bracket to the pulley) would be around 15' to allow for raising the the
moly masts center of gravity (z=+12') above the top of the tower.

My feeling is that the aluminum pipe should be adequate to the job provided
that we take reasonable precautions to keep the load (mast) roughly collinear with  the
gin pole (e.g. minimize side load). Any comments on my assumptions would be appreciated,
especially from those who have already performed similar feats.

Thanks,

Mike, W4EF/6