[TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 2 May 1999 13:45:41 EDT

In a message dated 99-05-02 12:49:41 EDT, notawc@juno.com writes:

> On a related thread would not just one set of 1/4" EHS guys at the 40'
>  level be sufficient for a modest tribander type of installation?

     For 45G? According to the Rohn catalog, that's the recommended
configuration. One set up to 50 feet at 110 MPH. You do have a Rohn catalog,
don't you?

>  Which would be better in that case, a pier pin base or solid concrete?

     For this modest installation, I'd sink a section in the concrete base.
Four inches or so of gravel in the bottom for leg drainage.

>  This would then negate the need for easy to damage Phillystran and
>  possibly even guy insulators.

      How would that negate the need? You're still dealing with metallic guys
of some length and they will interact with antennas. Just because the tower
isn't very high doesn't mean that the metallic guy wire problems go away.

> In Florida having everything grounded 6 ways to Sunday seems a wise move.

     I agree.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC