[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Self Supporting Tower

Bob Perring perring@texas.net
Mon, 03 May 1999 11:10:55 -0500

At 09:07 5/3/99 , Matt--K7BG wrote:
>Bob, You didn't actually say this was self-supporting. Was it actually
>non-bracketed/non-guyed?
>
>If that is what you're saying--Amazing!!
=======================>
There were no guy wires whatsoever, unless you count the inverted vee for
80 as  guy wires.

BTW, the hurricanes had names and locally clocked speeds as a matter of
local record on those 3 hurricane occasions.

The tower base consisted of concrete, poured 3' square at the top, 5.5'
down in depth, and 5' square wide at the bottom of the hole. Steel
reinforcement was used in the pour.

During the New Orleans hurricanes the first section of tower was bolted to
L shaped solid rods that were drilled to match the first bolt-up for the
bottom tower section. These rods went into the concrete for the entire
length of the pour.

During the Houston Winds, the first section of tower was buried in
concrete and resting on gravel in the bottom of the hole for condensation
drainage.

The tower, now guyed to stout elevated guy points, is still being used in
the original Houston hole at my station.

N5RP

only support consisted of a concrete base,

Amazing 4 times.