[TowerTalk] Insects-tower hazard

Tom Champlin w0hh@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 03 May 1999 20:06:39 -0500

To All,
Last week I climbed my 60' tower in order to check the rotor, ant
switch, etc. As I neared the top, I realized much to my horror that I
was staring face on directly into a giant bee hive which had almost
completely encapsulated my rotor. I froze and my mouth was dry. I slowly
began to climb back down, turning slightly. The bees seemed very
agitated, and I'll probably never know what made them attack, but
suddenly I was covered with aggressive, stinging bees. I climbed down in
a panic and fell the last ten feet. I called out for help hoping the
neighbors would hear me. But, I had made too many enemies working DX
with high power, not to mention the unsightliness of the tower/beam. So
no one came to my rescue. By this point, my entire body was covered with
bees, which by  now I had recognized as Africanized.
I probably sustained over 1000 stings, and then slowly, as I was
screaming, I woke up! My God what a dream!
73, Tom
W0HH