[TowerTalk] Galvanized Masts - Necessary?

George Fremin III geoiii@kkn.net
Tue, 4 May 1999 08:33:53 -0700 (PDT)

> 1. Is rust protection necessary/desirable for high carbon steel?

We have two 15' 2" od / 1/2" id K5RC masts up at the
W5KFT Ranch station and they are not galvanized.

They have been up for over 4 years now and I dont see any
problems so far.  I was just up at the top of one of
the towers this weekend and there is a very thin fine
coating of rust on the mast but very little of it comes off.

There are some rust stains on the rotator and top section but
not much - I have seen cheap U-bolts make a bigger mess in
less time.

I dont think these masts are going to rust enough
to weaken anytime soon.

YMMV

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."