[TowerTalk] Perfect Field Day beam?

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 04 May 1999 13:20:39 -0400

At 09:28 AM 5/4/1999 -0400, W8JI wrote wrote:
>Hi Guy and Pete,
>If the antenna (with loading concentrated in a small area, and no
>ground losses like a vertical would have) isn't melting and has a
>reasonable F/B, it must have a reasonable amount of gain
>somewhere. Where does the power go?

We seem to be going around in circles.  If different components of the
radiated signal arrive at a distant point with equal and opposite phases,
the net signal at that point is zero, right?  I don't think it violates the
conservation of energy to argue that some antennas may be more prone to
this sort of cancellation than others.  Moreover, why isn't it plausible
that such cancellation effects could be more prevalent in the forward field
than to the rear?

73,  Pete N4ZR
Loud is good