[TowerTalk] Mounting in the tower

Gary R. Hosler grhosler@imation.com
Fri, 7 May 1999 08:45:43 -0500

I had to remove a good deal of material in order to clear the "Z" braces.  As I
indicated in my previous posting, I would not want to depend on the modified
rotor shelf to handle vertical loads.  Working with a lateral load should be no
problem.  In my case the modified shelf was there simply to stabilize the lower
end of the mast and was not taking any vertical load.  As far as removing
braces, you are on your own.  I haven't removed any braces however Rohn has one
"Z" brace missing from the top section to allow for the insertion of a rotor.  I
have seen many towers with one brace removed and no failures as a result.  The
only failure I have seen that could be attributed to this activity was where the
"Z" braces were removed from all three tower faces.  Very uncool!

de Gary  W0AW

Shane Dugas <shane@eatel.net> on 05/07/99 06:46:43 AM