[TowerTalk] Mounting in the tower

Gary McDuffie, Sr. mcduffie@scottsbluff.net
Sun, 09 May 1999 18:35:41 -0600

On Sun, 09 May 1999 14:12:05 -0700, Kurt Andress wrote:

> Freestanding towers are different from guyed towers.
>
> I think you'll find that the crankup tower is limited by the bending stress at the
> bottom of
> each section.
>
> It is likely that the stress at the bottom of the top section will always exceed the
>
> stress caused by the mast connection to the tower.
> In that case, moving the rotor down the tower will result in no increase in tower
> capability.

Thanks, Kurt.  However, I wasn't looking for increase in tower
capability.  I was looking to unload some of the side stress of the
short coupling to the rotor.  It would be nice to be able to transfer
bending moment to a couple of thrust bearings, instead of one thrust
bearing and the rotor housing.

Gary
--
Please notify me immediately if you don't receive this.