[TowerTalk] More on TRAPS

Gary McDuffie, Sr. mcduffie@scottsbluff.net
Wed, 26 May 1999 17:34:41 -0600

On Wed, 26 May 1999 15:48:49 -0700, David Padrick wrote:

> I have received several emails today warning of problems with W2AU
> (Unadilla) traps.

One problem I didn't mention was the secondary problem caused by the
cracking.  After they crack, but before they shrink, the first symptom
is arcing of the trap.  This takes place because the cracks allow
moisture in to the center and cause the tubes to arc at the center,
where they form a capacitor.  The more power you run, the earlier it
will happen, but will certainly show up at under 100w.

The shrinking problem is so bad that the diameter of the blue coil form
gets small enough that, at first, the wires "jump" out of their "slots"
and short.  This is easy to fix if there are no cracks yet.  You just
use your hand to tighten the wrap in the aluminum wire and pinch a small
loop at the end to take up the slack.

73, Gary
--
Please notify your ISP if you don't receive this.