[TowerTalk] Fence Noise

Brian Smithson brian_smithson@vds.com
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:52:58 -0500

I have an electric fence at my house and there are three
things that make it noisy -

1. Grounds somewhere. Most common is the nails holding
the insulators to posts or trees. Walk around the fence
at night listening for/and looking for sparks. I've fixed
them by bending the wire out of the way and/or plastic
spoons over the ends of the nails.

2. Poor ground at the charger, as Steve suggests. Often
(as is the case with mine) there is just some wire
wrapped around the terminal going to a ground rod. Make
sure the connections are clean and solid. Ditto for the
wire to the fence itself.