[TowerTalk] Hauling concrete.

ted demopoulos kr1g@hotmail.com
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 07:42:06 PST

Cliff,

You have several good suggestions.
A few comments from here:

Pumping Concrete - not necessarily an option. I live about an hours drive
North from Boston, and no one pumps concrete here - no one has the
equipment. And getting someone to come up from the Boston area is very
pricey.

I rented a tractor ( a "Teramite") to dig holes and move the concrete from
the concrete truck to the holes. Everything was in the thick woods, where I
had spent much of the summer getting in shape by clearing land :)

Had a road made to the tower site, could easily drive my Ford Explorer right
too it - so allegedly easy access.

Digging holes went fine, although the ground got a bit muddy from the
tractor and a big rain a couple of *weeks* ago.

The Tractor filed with concrete got so heavy that it kept getting stuck in
the mud! Couldn't even get it to the base anymore or the far guyanchor hole.
BTW, the tractor driver did know what he was doing.
We filles about 1 1/2 guy holes with the tractor.

So, to end up the story, two of us moved about 2-3 yards of concrete thru
fairly heavy mud, using planks for the wheel of the wheelbarrel.
We ended shortly after dark!

So, if you use a wheelbarrel, even on nice smooth level ground, it is HEAVY
work. If you're a couch potato forget it. If pumping is available in your
area, probably a good option. If you can somehow drive it there (motorized
whatever), fine too.

73

Ted, KR1G

PS: I didn't mention other problems. The tractor broke at one point and we
wasted time repairing it. The Concrete Truck was very late as well.