[TowerTalk] Getting Open Wire Feeds Into the House (Shack)?

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:17:38 EST

In a message dated 15.11.99 13:02:09 Pacific Standard Time, K7GCO writes:
     All this talk about long lines is not for those on 100x100' lots but
there are creative ways to extend your horizons.
   I'm not addressing the 100'x100' lot guys which I was for 44 years here in
Seattle.  I ran open wire line to another lot 500' away and had an antenna
there with permission.  I ran a Beverage of green insulated wire on the grass
and property line across 4 lots and they never knew it was there.  The house
on the last lot had some noisy appliances I got them to fix also.  Back in SD
I ran an open wire line over a high way and railroad 600' to a baseball park
and used the light poles.  I had a large diameter horizontal loop around the
poles and could get some lights to flicker.  I melted the ice off the wire
with a high current 304TL filament transformer.  I ran a 600' open wire line
to a dipole between 2 elevators.  I've connected to railroad tracks, unused
telephone lines and the top fence wires for beverages.  I added the insulator
unseen by the owner and they are still there.  With a series fixed .1 ufd and
a series BC variable I've connected to the ground wire of the 110 V line for
a receive antenna on the BC, 160& 80M band.  We have been connecting the groun
d wire to the wrong terminal all these years.  I've laid insulated LW'ers on
frozen lakes.  It takes creative imagination to get antenna advantages no
matter where you live.
 k7gco