[TowerTalk] Re: [losses]

George T. Daughters gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:42:20 +0008

Hi again,

K7GCO wrote...

>      If you have RG8 with only 15% or .7 dB measured loss that is lower than
> even what the mfg. rate for polyfoam at 30 Mhz for 100' which is typically .9
> dB--regular RG-8 is 1 dB/100'.

I never said it was 100 feet.  It was more like 80 or 85 feet, and
it was at 29MHz.

>  Cherish that coax.

I do.  I got several pieces of it free, from a good ham friend.

> It might be a calibration error in the Bird.

Sure, but my point was not really laboratory loss measurement
techniques and error analysis.  It was simply that a 15% power loss
can be expected from (an 85 foot length) of GOOD, NEW, coax.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT