[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 guy radius oddness.. 80% vs 50%?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 06:30:10 -0600

Ryan,

The 80% guy radius specification is designed to allow
maximum loading on a tower at the rated maximum
height with a reasonable guy radius.
(For Rohn 25,  200 ft is the maximum rated height).

One of the design considerations is the maximum
vertical load on the bottom section.  For TALL towers
with a MAXIMUM antenna load, this is a major
consideration.

The closer the guy anchors are to the tower, the
greater the vertical load due to guy tension.  If guys
are moved in from the recommended 80% radius,
then the tower height and / or tower load must be
reduced.

For SHORT towers with SMALL Loads, vertical load
is not much of a consideration.  As Kurt Andress K7NV
aptly stated, "ANY guys are better than NO guys!"

Have you noticed how close the utility company guys
are on power poles?  Good example of a short support
with a small to moderate load.

I would not expect any problem with a 50% guy radius
for a 60 ft tower and SMALL antenna load.

de Tom  N4KG