[TowerTalk] Stacking dissimilar antennas

Robert L. Shohet kq2m@mags.net
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:41:47 -0800

Hi Guys,

On 40 I have a 4-square, NE wirebeam and an Inv. V all coming to the
same stackmatch.  Ordinarily I would simply switch between antennas,
however this weekend is SS and no doubt I will be using all of them.

When I stack yagis, I make sure that each Yagi is fed with an identical
electrical length of coax.

My question is if I phase (for example) the 4-square and the Inv V
because I am getting broader coverage, and the signals seem louder on
receive, is it ok to phase them even though they are dissimilar antennas
with different lengths of coax?  OR, asked another way, if I am hearing
the stations louder with the phased combo of antennas, then can I assume
that the opposite should hold true and that I would be louder also? - or
could the "mis-phasing" screw up the pattern only on Transmit and make
me weaker?

Likewise if I want to "stack" the NE Wirebeam and the 40-2CD because the
signals sound louder "in-phase", then can I assume that I am also louder
on transmit?  If so, then can I also assume that if I was using
identical electrical lengths of coax to phase the two antennas, that the
pattern would be tighter and signals might be even louder?

Your thoughts please!

Tnx & 73

Bob KQ2M