[TowerTalk] Yagi versus Log Periodic

wa4dou@excite.com wa4dou@excite.com
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 16:59:36 PDT

 Hi Eric and Gang,
  Eric, your point about the fallacy in my thinking between parasitic array
and driven array is well taken. I'm sure you're right. I dug out some of my
antenna books today and did some reading on the log periodic.
  The reason i only considered the T-6 is because my tower is a Rohn 25G and
i live in hurricane alley. The Rohn specs. for 110 mph call for windloading
not to exceed 8.3 sq.ft. Allowing a little for a rotator and mast, i don't
want to go much beyond 7 sq. ft. Even then theres a possibility that the
wind it could be subjected to may easily exceed 110 mph. Had hurricane Floyd
not de-intensified so quickly , it could have brought us winds exceeding
120-130 mph. If course, hopefully in that instance the antenna would give
its life to save the tower.
  Several months ago i modified my posture on the parameters concerning my
tower, thanks to advice i received here. I not only met specs wherever
called for, in some cases i exceeded them. For instance, when i laid the
tower guys out i put one guy in the Northeast and that is where the highest
hurricane force wind will likely come from. When i poured concrete, i had
twice as much poured as necessary. When i learned that i would need to break
up the guys with insulators, in order to shunt feed the tower, i ordered
enough insulators and preforms to do it every 13-14 ft. along the length of
both levels of guys. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
  Although i thought about it, i've decided to continue to be patient and
just order the F12 C3SS and wait. With perhaps one exception, HRO doesn't
stock F12, nor First Call, nor Texas Towers. I'm told that the profit margin
is too slim to do so.
  I wish i had the resolve to do like one W1 i read about who didn't worry
about having but one antenna, or at least one yagi, a monoband 20 meter job.
His reasoning? All DX comes to 20! Can't argue with that! Ha! :o) I guess i
want all the bands ! And all the gain i can get consistent with relatively
small size.
  73 all, de Roy Lincoln WA4DOU