[TowerTalk] Shorting Straps on KT34XA

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:40:20 EDT

In a message dated 99-10-03 17:30:31 EDT, W4EF@pacbell.net writes:

> I am in the process of preparing a used KLM KT34XA for
>  re-installation on the tower. While I was cleaning-up
>  and inspecting the elements, I noticed that it was
>  difficult to get the shorting straps in the linear loading
>  sections to fit tight around the capacitor tubes (I think
>  these are the so called type "C" straps), especially when
>  they are coated with no-alox which is somewhat slick.
>  This loose fit concerned me as it was my understanding that
>  no-alox needs to be under pressure to work reasonably well.
>  As a result, I picked up some 10 mil brass shim stock at the
>  local hardware and shimmed a couple of the strap terminations
>  so that they are now snug around the capacitor tubes.
>  Unfortunately, this is a rather tedious process.

      Big UGH to that. Then you've got dissimilar metals to deal with too.

>  Anybody out there know of a better solution, or am I overkilling
>  this thing? I have 5 more elements to do, so any labor saving hints
>  would be appreciated.

      The looseness of these straps is well documented. After you've got it
reassembled and working to your satisfaction, I would suggest using a TEK
screw to pin everything together. A TEK screw is a chisel-point self-tapping
screw that will go into aluminum in a couple of seconds. I prefer the
Phillips head variety as they are easier to drive with my cordless drill.
They don't have to be very long. This provides a good redundant electrical
connection as well as mechanical connection.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech