[TowerTalk] Re: shorting straps on KLM KT34XA

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 03:16:57 EDT

In a message dated 99-10-05 21:15:50 EDT, ka4inm@gate.net writes:

> << Anybody out there know of a better solution, or am I overkilling
>  this thing? I have 5 more elements to do, so any labor saving hints
>  would be appreciated.  >>
>
>    I have a KLM KT-34A (not X) and it has this problem, I see this as a
> design defect.
>
>  My plan is to replace these "C" or "P" ? straps with stainless steel
straps
> held to
>  the elements es gamma match with (all) stainless steel `avaition hose
bands'
> screw
>  type radiator hose clamps/bands.  I have not worked out the details, looks
> like it
>  will be super sized bands (1/2" X 3') that I have seen in auto parts
stores
> etc.
>  cut into 2 or 3 pieces of suitable length with the ends bent around to
allow
> the
>  `hose bands' to be at the correct angle (perpendicular to the tubing.
>  This bent ends, forming the leads is what I havn't worked out yet.
>  I have replaced the two very short jumpers with some clamped on rings that
>  straightened out and used, but they were able to be bent in a different
> manner.
>
>  This matter must be properly addressed before I put this beast up on my
> future tower.

       Yes, it's a design problem but thousands of these antennas have still
worked successfully despite it.

       I would not recommend changing/substituting anything in this (or any
other) antenna. All of the parts work together in a unique way and, while you
may get away with it, spending all the time and effort to 're-invent' a part
doesn't seem like it's likely to be worth it. The designers spent MANY hours
to get it all right.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech